I put a little bit of effort into the NWS mobile radar page this afternoon and am proud to announce that it has been bumped to version 0.2b. It is now available from the Mobile Weather page (http://weather.funnelfiasco.com/mobile/). A mostly complete list of changes is below:
- Added site selection menu. I didn’t think it was necessary initially, but several users have suggested it, and my own experience while on vacation proves that there probably aren’t too many people who know the ID for all 154 sites. The added bonus is that I’ve begun support for a requested feature, which is to select adjacent radar sites. The difficult part will be filling that information in for each site, so it will likely be a gradual roll-out. Sites can still be selected manually, which is probably quicker if you already know the ID.
- Added license information. In line with the rest of the website, the code for this script is licensed under the CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0. That information is now contained in the comments as well in the code output.
- Put site selection and product selection on separate lines. This is a small tweak to (hopefully) improve usability. While horizontal real estate is constrained, there’s more room to separate things vertically on most devices, so let’s go with that. If nothing else, users are used to vertical scrolling.
- Added spacing of other products under radar image. Another usability tweak, which should make the clicking process a little bit simpler, especially on touch-only devices.
- Change radar image label from <p> to <h3>. This makes the site and product a little more visible and adds some vertical spacing to keep things from looking too jammed together.